Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Well, school is done for today. It was a weird day. My teacher started knocking religion today in my Cyber Ethics class, equating Jerry Fauwell to a terrorist in Afganistan. He said that all fundementalists of the same. He then said the religion provides no way making ethical decisions, that if God says to kill someone, religion makes it suddenly ethical. I had to deal with this last semester, but not nearly so bad as this. This guy has been my favorite teacher. He is also my Advisor. He is very easy going and friendly, but his comments today made me a little upset.
I have a four page paper due friday (working on it tonight, update this is just an excuse to put it off longer) in that class, and I hope to show how I stand on the ethical and moral viewpoints. I did the same thing last semester in my regular Ethics class, I wrote two papers that totally went against what the teacher taught and got 98 out of 100 on one and 90 out of 100 on the other. He said they were well written and well argued.
I got to talk to a guy tonight in church, incedently the same guy that I'm writting the software for, about ethics. He said the issue of ethics doesn't change a lot even when looking at computers. I think that computers and the internet give us new technologies that we need to consider the ethical implications of, but in the end we still are left with the question of the morality of an act, regardless of whether a computer was used in the "crime". For example, it is now very easy to copy a song and give it to someone. The record companies complain that they are lossing a "prospective sale", meaning, maybe the person you lent the song too WOULD have purchased it, maybe not. Regardless, the original work is still intact, and nothing was stolen from the artist or recording company. This is just one of the issues we are dealling with in class. I'm looking forward to a few good arguments.....just like last semester! :)

Well there isn't much new to report about the new job prospective. I have been playing with the software like the guy recommened and I am very impressed! It is a valuable and powerful tool, it cost over $500 for the bare minimum, up into the $1250+ range. I glad the company already has this software, I just get to use it....if I'm hired. That is a PRAYER REQUEST: That I would have wisdom as to whether or now to accept this if it is offered. I would really like it. I challenging work enviroment such as this sounds like something I would enjoy.

Well I better get cranking on that paper---I just had a Red-Bull.....a staple for college life. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home